Nerd Night: The Science of Attraction
Thursday, February 25th @ 6 pm
What makes someone attractive? There might be more to it than what meets the eye…
It’s February and that means Love is in the Air!! Curious about attraction and finding a potential mate? It is often said that opposites attract, but what exactly does this mean? Why are certain people considered more attractive than others? How do our hearts and minds determine who we are willing to pursue as a potential mate? What can we learn from other species’ mating and courtship behaviors in our own quest for love? Join us for our next Nerd Night to explore these questions and more! Our amazing lineup of speakers will guide you through the Science of Attraction and give a better understanding of how we find romantic relationships.
About our Speakers:
- Loretta Breuning (PhD in Psychology) is Founder of the Inner Mammal Institute and author of Habits of a Happy Brain: Retrain Your Brain to Boost Your Serotonin, Dopamine, Oxytocin and Endorphin Levels. She’s Professor Emerita of Management at California State University, East Bay. Her many books and digital resources help people find their power to manage their brain chemicals.
- Nerd Night presentation: The Neurochemistry of Love: How Love Stimulates Dopamine, Serotonin, Oxytocin, and Endorphin
- Leora Whiteaker (NMSU Psychology) is a graduate student whose research focuses on better understanding the intersections of gender, sexuality, behaviors, and relationships. The main areas of focus include gender identities, sexual and romantic relationships, sexual health, women’s health, dominance, attraction, dating habits, LGBTQ communities.
- Nerd Night presentation: Perceived dominance and its impact on attraction (sexual attraction, physical attraction, & desirability to date)
- Lauren Esposito (PhD in arachnology); as the California Academy of Sciences’ Assistant Curator and Schlinger Chair of Arachnology, Lauren studies the processes and patterns of evolution in spiders and scorpions, including mating and courtship behaviors.
- Nerd Night presentation: Arachnid mating and courtship
Where: Your House via Zoom