Nerd Night: DinoTech
Saturday, February 26, 2022 @ 3:00pm
Dinosaur Hike | Augmented Reality | Education | Dinner
Did you know that you can use augmented reality (AR) to take a self-guided hiking tour of our DinoTracks site? From virtual encounters with an Iguanodon to LiDAR to maps of invisible dinosaur footprints, our next Nerd Night will explore the exciting new technology uses in paleontology and education. This two part Nerd Night will start with the official launch of our brand new AR DinoTracks tour (3pm – 5pm) and end with dinner and talks at Ardovino’s Desert Crossing (5:30pm – 7:30pm).
- Alex Rayon (Lead VR & AR Developer at Boost Human) – Using AR to understand the past
- David Figueroa (Founder of Augment El Paso) – Educational uses of AR and VR in the Border Region
- Valeria V. Martinez (UTEP Geology Graduate Student) – Using LiDAR imaging to discover dinosaur tracks
WHEN & WHERE: February 26, 2022
1) 3:00pm – 5:00pm – Insights staff and dinotracks guides will facilitate a semi guided hike at the DinoTracks Site using our new Explore AR tour app (driving directions will also be emailed to you when you download the app and enter your email address)
2) 5:30pm – 7:30pm – dinner & talks at Ardovino’s Desert Crossing – your ticket includes a two course dinosaur-themed prefix dinner (meatless options will be available)
1 Ardovinos Dr, Sunland Park, NM 88063
Before you go:
- Please take the time to fill out our Online Waiver
- Download the Explore AR App to your cell phone or tablet
*Cell and internet service at the DinoTrack site can be limited so it will be helpful to sign the waiver and download the app on your device before you get to the site.
Be sure to wear sturdy shoes and appropriate attire for the weather. The DinoTracks hike is a 1.5 mile loop and the tour takes 1-2 hours to complete.
Explore AR & Insights AR DinoTracks Tour were developed by Boost Human with the support of the Paso del Norte Health Foundation
**All Ned Night events follow current CDC guidelines. We encourage our Nerd Night guests to keep their distant from others that are not of your party while on the DinoTracks hike. At Ardovino’s, tables and seating will be spread out so that everyone can enjoy the event while providing social distancing. We ask that masks be worn when not seated, eating or drinking. We appreciate your help in keeping our community safe and healthy.