Nerd Night: EP Environmentalism
Thursday, April 21, 2022 @ 6:00pm
Student-led Environmental Stewardship | Eco El Paso | City Nature Challenge | Species & Habitat Conservation
PROUDLY SPONSORED BY:
Insights EPA-Funded SESI Program
Environmentalism is a movement and ideology that aims to reduce the impact of human activities on the earth and its various inhabitants that arose in response to global environmental crises. It has evolved into an engaging field and diverse community that looks to improve the lives of everyday people, as well as safeguard the natural world and our collective future. The community involves the young and old and people from all backgrounds who are motivated to help build a healthy and sustainable future. This Nerd Night will showcase some of the great environmental work taking place in the El Paso region – from young stewards restoring habitats, to organizations promoting sustainable systems and lifestyles, and even efforts to get people outside in nature.
This is a FREE event open to the El Paso Community thanks to our sponsor!
This special Nerd Night event is proudly supported by
Insights’ Student-led Environmental Initiative (SESI) is an environmental education program funded by the US Environmental Protection Agency (NE-96878101-0). Insights was awarded $100,000 by the EPA in 2018 to carry out the initiative through May 2022. The program’s mission is to build a strong environmentally conscious future for the border region by providing young community members with skills and experiences to promote a new generation of conservational awareness. Insights partnered with several local environmental organizations and two local high schools, of which were awarded $10,000, to accomplish a hands-on student-led restoration project that solves a community environmental issue. This leadership program gives students and teachers funding and opportunities for building networking relationships and incorporating several field trips into their curriculum, while their classroom education is enhanced with workshops developed and provided by environmental professionals.
- Cathedral High School Environmental Stewardship Club: Pedro Ochoa, Andre Melendez, Emiliano Lopez and Sergio Monarrez
- Del Valle High School Environmental Stewardship Club: Anisa Sanchez, Kyrsha Marmolejo, Angela Rodriguez, Iris Girlet Lopez, Anahi Lara and Autumn Lopez
- Mission Early College High School Environmental Club: Andrea Veliz, Vanessa Luevano and Michelle Pando
- Joshua Simmons, Community Organizer & Advocate – Eco El Paso
- Rick LoBello, Education Curator and chair of zoo’s conservation committee – El Paso Zoo and Botanical Gardens
- Kevin Floyd, Botanical Curator, Centennial Museum and Chihuahuan Desert Gardens
April 21, 2022 @ 6pm
Centennial Museum and Chihuahuan Desert Gardens
The University of Texas at El Paso
610 W. University Ave.
At the corner of University Ave. and Wiggins Rd.
**All Nerd Night events follow current CDC guidelines. We encourage our Nerd Night guests to keep their distant from others that are not of your party. We appreciate your help in keeping our community safe and healthy.