Is Space limited on the Public Tours?
- Yes! Unfortunately, as our tours are in demand, we have set a cap of expected attendees to (90) people per public tour. Thus, we encourage the public to register for a spot via our website as soon as possible.
- Please Note: A two week minimum registration is not needed for our First Sunday Public tours, a two week minimum is reserved primarily for our Private and School tours only.
Are DinoTracks tours great for all ages?
- Our Dinosaur Track tours engages an audience of all ages! However, the tour will take guests on a 2.5 mile hike (roundtrip) on trails that may contain loose rock and grades up to 30%.
Do kids get in for free?
- Children, 5 years of age and under, will gain Free Admission! Everyone over the age of 5 years pays the same admission price.
- On the day of your tour, your tour guide will have copies of liability waivers on-hand, for all attendees to sign prior to beginning the tour. However, if a minor will be attending without their parent present, a liability waiver must be signed by their legal guardian and given to the tour guide on the day of the tour.
- To view the Liability Waiver, please download it here.
Can we bring a pet along?
- Yes! Insights welcomes pets on the tour, however we kindly ask that they be kept on a leash at all times. Thank you for bringing wag-bags for cleaning up after your pet.
How difficult is the hike?
- Insights’ utmost priority is safety! It must be noted, the tour follows a 2.5 mile hiking trail (round trip) consisting of uneven terrain, containing some loose rock and grades up to 30%. If you have any health concerns, please let our tour guide(s) know prior to the beginning of the tour.
Minimum of Number of Attendees
- If you wish to schedule a private tour, Insights is more than happy to accommodate you in customizing your tour experience. However, we kindly request a minimum of (8) attendees within your Tour Group to book a private tour. Tours groups smaller than 8 guests can be arranged for a higher price per person.
- Insights is happy to offer a discounted tour rate of $12 per person to qualifying groups! Upon reserving a spot via our Online Registration form, please indicate if you’re requesting a tour date on behalf of a non-profit organization.
- Please note: All Private tours (including for Non-Profit Organizations) must be pre-paid TWO weeks in advance in order for our staff members to proceed in scheduling your Tour Guides upon payment. Insights currently accepts: Cash, Check, or PayPal.
- Payment Method: Please inform our staff, via our Online Registration form, which payment method you prefer to process payment. Insights encourages the method in which is most convenient for you! Thus, if you wish to pay via: Cash, Check, or Paypal – once indicated on the registration form, a member of our staff will contact you to accommodate you.
Do kids get in for free?
- Children (under the ages of 5 years old) will gain Free Admission! If you are bringing children under 5 years of age, please indicate on the Online Registration form, the number of children that are 5 years of age and under. The admission price for everyone over the age of 5 years is the same.
How do we book a school tour?
- Please complete the Online Registration form, including all the following information: (Full Name, Email Address, and Phone Number of Point of Contact(s), Number of Students & Chaperones Expected to Attend on the Tour, a Requested Date in which you wish to schedule your tour, Grade Range of Students Attending, and additional comments you wish to add).
- Once you have submitted the Online Registration form, a member of our Staff will get in contact with you as soon as possible to assist you with processing a quote for your tour!
Scheduling a Specific Date:
- Insights requires a minimum of TWO weeks in advance prior to your requested tour date for Purchase Orders to be received. Tour Guides will only be scheduled upon receiving a copy of the Purchase Order! Unfortunately due to our policy NO Exceptions can be made, in order to accommodate other incoming school tour requests.
How long will it take for my school district to approve a purchase order?
- General District Funding: An estimated (1) Month is typically needed for approval from your district, to process payment.
- Title One Funding: An estimated (2) Months is typically needed for approval from your district, to process payment.
Are DinoTracks tours appropriate for all grades?
- Insights’ utmost priority is safety! Our school tours can accommodate students K-12, however although our tours are engaging for all ages, participants must be able to complete a 2.5 mile hike on trails that may contain loose rock and grades up to 30%. If there are any health concerns from either your students or your chaperones, please let our staff & tour guide(s) know prior to the beginning of the tour!
General DinoTracks FAQs:
Can I visit the DinoTracks Site without a guide from Insights?
- Please remember that the DinoTracks site is private property; if you would like to visit the DinoTracks site without an Insights tour guide, then you will need to review this use agreement and submit a request by phone or email.
Where can I download a copy of the liability waiver?
- Prior to your booked tour, you will receive a digital copy of our liability waiver and your guide will have extra copies on the day of the tour. If you would like to print your own or need an extra copy, please download it here.
- DinoTracks Tours make great presents! Please contact Insights by phone (915) 534-0000 or email us (firstname.lastname@example.org) to request a DinoTracks gift card.
How do I become a DinoTracks tour guide?
Do you enjoy helping others understand geology and paleontology? Insights seeks guides from all majors, cultural backgrounds, and experiences. DinoTracks Tour Guide Training Sessions are typically held twice per year, in the spring and fall. DinoTrack tour guides provide a 2.5 mile, ~3 hour tour of our fossilized dinosaur tracks near Sunland Park to groups of 8 – 30 adults or children. For each tour, guides can choose to receive volunteer credit or a stipend.
All interested parties age 18+ are encouraged to apply. If you are interested in joining our team of DinoTrack tour guides, please submit an application today! After an application review, selected Tour Guides will participate in a half-day training including an informational hike, then shadow tours at their convenience. Upon certification, tour guides will choose to earn a stipend or volunteer credit (i.e. Texas Master Naturalists) per tour given.
- Click the button below to complete the application:
Insights’ General Tour Policies:
A. School Tours
- Cancellations Due to Weather: In the event that inclement weather disrupts a scheduled tour, it may be rescheduled one time with no additional fees applied.
- A second rescheduling request, due to weather or another unforeseen circumstance, will incur a 15% rebooking fee.
- Cancellation after Payment Confirmation has been Received: Within two weeks of the scheduled tour date will incur a 10% rebooking fee.
- Insights will reschedule a school tour at no charge only if NOAA weather forecast reflects: 1) 80% chance or greater of heavy precipitation during the scheduled tour time, or 2) Wind gusts of over 60 miles per hour. Registered participants will be contacted prior tour cancellation with details.
B. Public Tours
- Tour Guests may reschedule a tour to another month one time with no additional fees applied.
- Each additional rescheduling request (after the first free rescheduling request) will incur a $3 fee per guest.
- Full cancellation of a paid tour will incur a fee of $5 per person.
- Our gift cards are available via Eventbrite.
Insights will only cancel a Public First Sunday Tour when NOAA reflects a weather forecast of: 1) 80% chance or greater of heavy precipitation during the scheduled tour time, or 2) Wind gusts of over 60 miles per hour. Registered participants will be contacted prior tour cancellation with details.
We want you to have a great tour, if the weather looks surprisingly unpleasant, feel free to rebook your tour for the next month, or schedule a private tour.
C. Private Tours
- Tour guests may reschedule a tour for a different date one time only with no rebooking fee. Please contact Insights as soon as possible if you would like to reschedule. Each additional rescheduling request (after the first free reschedule) will incur a $3 fee, per guest. Full cancellation of a paid tour will incur a fee of $5 per person.
- Insights will reschedule a private tour at no charge only if NOAA weather forecast reflects: 1) 80% chance or greater of heavy precipitation during the scheduled tour time, or 2) Wind gusts of over 60 miles per hour. Registered participants will be contacted prior tour cancellation with details.