Nerd Night: Human Sexuality
Thursday, July 29th @ 6 pm
~An Open Conversation About Human Sexuality~
Gone are the days of sex taboo. As human beings, sexuality is a vital component of human life and as we have shifted the way we think and talk about it, it opens the door to a great deal of insightful information. Join us for our next Nerd Night as we discuss and explore human sexuality, learn how the conversation has evolved over the last couple of decades, share stories and perspectives from people of different sexual orientations and discover ways on how each of us can be more inclusive in our everyday lives.
About our Speakers:
- Dr. Sarah Wright is a licensed clinical psychologist and certified sex therapist based in Columbia, South Carolina with expertise in sexuality, including sexual dysfunction, orgasmic difficulties, sexual trauma, general sexual improvement or concerns, relationship issues, trans issues, GLBQ issues, and more. Dr. Wright is the author of “Redefining Trauma: Understanding and Coping with a Cortisoaked Brain” which offers the ‘Wright way’ to understand the impact that stress and trauma has on cortisol production and the functioning of our brains. Dr. Wright states that her goal is to help people live more fulfilling lives in sync with their personal goals and values.
- Nerd Night Presentation: Human Sexuality
- Dr. Theodore Cooper earned his Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology from the University of Memphis. He is an Associate Professor in the Department of Psychology at the University of Texas at El Paso, where he joined the faculty in 2004. His global research interests are in the areas of disease prevention and health promotion. More specifically, he addresses issues in the prevention and treatment of clinical health including: tobacco use and cessation, other addictive behaviors, cancer prevention, obesity and sedentary behavior, and sexual risk. While at UTEP, he has offered multiple undergraduate and graduate courses in Advanced Abnormal Psychology and Theories and Methods of Psychotherapy; however, his annual (or more frequent) offering of the Psychology of Human Sexuality likely best reflects his passion for enhancing student engagement, dialogue, and critical thinking.
- Nerd Night Presentation: The Evolution of Sex Talk with College Students
- Dr. Baker A. Rogers (they/them or she/her) is an Associate Professor of Sociology at Georgia Southern University. They identify as a transmasculine genderqueer lesbian. Their research focuses on inequality, specifically examining the intersections of gender, sexuality, and religion in the U.S. South. Their book Conditionally Accepted: Christians’ Perspectives on Sexuality and Gay and Lesbian Civil Rights, was released with Rutgers University Press in December 2019, and their book Trans Men in the South: Becoming Men, was released with Lexington Books in January 2020. Their new book King of Hearts: Drag Kings in the American South, will be released with Rutgers University Press in October 2021. Their work is also published in numerous academic journals including, Men and Masculinities; Journal of Interpersonal Violence; Gender & Society; and Qualitative Sociology.
- Nerd Night Presentation: A personal perspective as a member of the LGBTQIA+ community and brief intro to research examining gender and sexuality, particularly in the South
Where: Your House via Zoom
How to RSVP:
Tickets to Nerd Night: Human Sexuality
Your ticket purchase allows us at Insights to continue to provide STEAM education programs to our El Paso Community. As a not-for-profit organization, our efforts are made possible by the generous support of people like you. We sincerely appreciate your contribution!
Nerd Nights unites our community with a celebration of Science & Humanities.
Stay tuned for our next Nerd Night
Nerd Night: Golf
As a part of our STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math) education mission, we have teamed up with UTEP’s Centennial Museum to bring a new event to the Border Region – Nerd Nights. Nerd Nights is a series of informative evening events designed to bring fun scientific/humanities talks and activities to your favorite local brewery, restaurant, coffee shop, or any other community hub. We will host a different Nerd Night at a different local establishment on a monthly basis.
Why Nerd Nights? We launched Nerd Nights because we wanted to find an entertaining way to learn something new while sharing good food and drink with new friends.
Still have questions about Nerd Nights? Please read our Nerd Night FAQ’s.
Night Sponsor Hall of Fame
Nerd Night #35 sponsored by:
Nerd Night #24 sponsored by:
Wine Attitude is not your usual bar. They feature great conversation, happy hour, live music, and select only the finest wines from around the world and bring them here for your enjoyment. Be sure to check out Wine Attitude’s new location on Mesa.
Nerd Night #20 sponsored by:
Nerd Night #18 sponsored by:
Virgin Galactic is a spaceflight company within the Virgin Group at the vanguard of a new industry, pioneering the next generation of reusable space vehicles. Virgin aims to transform the current cost, safety and environmental impact of space-launch. In doing so they are helping to create a basic space access infrastructure that will act as an enabler for scientists and entrepreneurs. It will also provide the catalyst for a new age of space exploration which promises enormous positive potential for life on Earth.
Nerd Night # 16 Sponsored by
Thwaites Interdisciplinary Margin Evolution – The TIME group studies the role of shear margin dynamics in the future evolution of Thwaites Drainage Basin. TIME is an ice-based project using state-of-the-art geophysical techniques to observe rapidly deforming parts of Thwaites Glacier (shear margins) which may have significant control over future stability of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet (WAIS). The TIME project will observe rapidly deforming parts of Thwaites Glacier which may have significant control over the future evolution of WAIS, and use these new observations to improve ice sheet models used to predict future sea level rise.